Our nails are made of a hard protein called keratin. The function of nails is to protect the ends of our fingers and toes and to help us when picking things up – So nail care is essential for more than just looking good!
You can tell a lot about the condition of your nails by their appearance. Do they look strong and healthy? Are there any noticeable bumps, ridges or discolouring? These signs not only show how well you look after your nails, but are a good indicator of your health in general. The state of a person’s nails can occasionally be used by doctors during diagnosis procedures.
Some key tips when it comes to looking after your nails and keeping them in tip top condition include:
- Don’t over-file nails, as this can weaken them for future growth.
- Eat certain food that promote healthy nails such as celery, eggs and sea food. These are all good sources of Vitamin B, Potassium, Iron and Calcium.
- Use sun block to make sure you don’t damage the skin around the nail.
- Wear gloves when required to stop nails from getting brittle.
- Have occasional hand massages to improve nail growth and boost circulation.
- Moisturise regularly.
- Gently tapping your nails on hard surfaces can help to strengthen them.
- Avoid biting your nails!
- Cut any hangnails carefully with nail clippers.
- Give your nails a break from nail polish now and then to give them a chance to get some air.
A lot of our hand and nail treatments at The Ocean Spa use products by Jessica, a brand created by Jessica Vartoughian who has been dubbed “the lady of nails” by the New York Times. She has been praised for her unique understanding of what it takes to achieve and maintain naturally beautiful nails.
Jessica has designed innovative products to deal with dry, brittle, normal or post-acrylic nails following a careful analysis of different nail conditions.
If you’d like to be introduced to Jessica products and learn more about how to care for your nails, book a nail treatment at The Ocean Spa and receive a complimentary bottle of your choice of Jessica Nail Polish!
For enquires or to book, please give us a call on 01305 824117 or email us here.