Next summer Weymouth & Portland will see the arrival of 380 athletes who will compete in 10 different sailing events during the 2012 Olympic Games.
The Jurassic Coast will see 14 days of exhilarating action and excitement in the beautiful South Coast waters.
We at The Ocean Spa are currently hosting many of the Olympic Sailing teams, who are taking advantage of the treatments, leisure facilities and adjoining accommodation at The Venue Hotel while they train in the area.
- One of the best cardio workouts for a sailor is to sail when it’s windy. The wind can also provide great resistance for building muscle.
- A lot of the sailors enjoy cycling. It makes a change from sailing and gives them the opportunity to work different muscles whilst still improving cardio. Many have praised the spinning classes for giving them that extra motivation boost.
- Unsurprisingly the rowing machines are being put to good use! They are great for improving upper and lower body strength, as well as allowing the athletes to benchmark and boost their sailing techniques.
- Swiss Balls can be used to work on resistance and balance techniques.
Some key points for the athletes – along with anyone else who is training – to consider -
- Do not overload on training. It is important to gradually work the muscles harder over time to make them stronger.
- Work on improving specific areas of the body. For example if you are looking to improve upper body strength, it is important to use exercises and activities that focus on that particular area.
- Take time to recover – 48 hours between each strength session is recommended.
If you’d like to know more about creating an effective training regime, please give us a ring on 01305 824117.